Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Enjoy the Moment

Hello All. 
I am grieving the loss of our local grocery store tonight.  In a town of 1490 people, this is a disaster.
Apparently, within minutes of my departure today, the store went up in flames and is a total loss.  It was only 5 miles from my home.  Yes, I said miles.  Now I will have to drive 25-30 miles, depending on which direction I go.  These are not freeway miles, these are winding country roads.  I worry for all the families that made their living in that store.  I worry about the loss of tax revenue to our community.  I worry about how some of the other local businesses might be affected when we all have to go to bigger towns/cities to do our shopping and buy more stuff in those places while we are there.  I worry about how budgets will be affected by increased driving/gas costs.  I worry about how the schools will be affected.  Will I be able to still get my prescriptions now that the in-store pharmacy is gone?  We lost 2 in-store restaurants, including a Subway, as well.  Life as we knew it will be changed for the foreseeable future.
 
I am sure they will rebuild, but that will take time.  In the meantime, what damage will take place in our community?  Time will tell.
 
So, since I am feeling very sad tonight, I decided to make a fall card.  We are not having much of a fall here because the drought caused the trees to lose their leaves in June & July, so there's not much left to change. 
 
 
 
I have a beautiful Memory Box stamp that I used tonight, stamping it on 2 different Basic Grey Indian Summer papers and punching out the tree then mounting it with foam tape on top of the other one.  I used a Sizzix die for the label and tied May double-sided satin ribbon to the top.  The sentiment is from Impression Obsession and I used Versafine Sepia ink.  The sketch is from the Skipping Stones Designs challenge.
 
I am also entering the following challenges:
 
Crazy Amigo Challenge - falling leaves
Die Cuttin' Divas - fall colors
Love to Create - fall/autumn colors
Use it Tuesday - all about fall (hoarded stash=Basic Grey Indian Summer - I confess, I AM a paper HOARDER)
 
Thanks to Margaret for posting for me yesterday when I was just too sick (migraine again) and tired to be able to do it.  I'm very glad to be back tonight, even though I do have to go to the office tomorrow!!!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
kathy b
 


6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your town's loss! I understand fully how you feel. On to better things though I love your card and your technique that you used on it. Thanks for sharing with us at Love to Create Challenge.
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the grocery store! Hopefully they will be up and running again quickly. This is a lovely card. Really feels like fall. Thanks for playing along at SSD this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your grocery store. Hugs and hang in there! Your card is lovely. Thank you for sharing your talent with Skipping Stones Design this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your community store. :( But, thanks for playing with us at Use It Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Kathy, sorry to hear about what is happening in your town. Thanks for joining us at Use It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining us at Use it Tuesday. Glad to meet a fellow paper hoarder

    ReplyDelete